The prisoners' quarters in Special Camp No. 8 in Fort Zinna were badly overcrowded. The Soviet site plan of 17 December 1945 indicates that the camp administration anticipated a maximum capacity of 8,638 prisoners. In fact at this time there were 7,600 inmates in the compound, which had been designed to accommodate only about 1,000 prisoners. The characteristic cross-shaped building is visible in the centre of the sketch. The women's camp (building 4) is on the lower right. State Archives of the Russian Federation (GARF), Moscow.